Favorite Holidays

by https://pixabay.com/en/snow-tree-coniferous-lake-2932650/ on pixbay

Many Americans celebrate Independence Day with their own special traditions. I love the 4th of July because every year for the 4th, we head up to my grandparent’s cottage. The cottage is right on Lake Huron and it is easy to walk down the beach and visit with the neighbors. On the night of 4th, we set up chairs on the beach around a big fire pit. We usually roast marshmallows and make s’mores before the fireworks start down the beach. When they start, we go and sit with the neighbors around the fire and set off a few fireworks of our own over the water. The view of the lake and the reflection of the firework colors is really beautiful.

Christmas is one of the most celebrated holidays in the U.S.  I love Christmas because I get to spend time with my family. Almost every year, I get to choose where and with whom I spend Christmas. My father goes to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico with his family. My mom goes home to Michigan to stay with her parents, and my grandparents. My grandparents host a big family party in Michigan every year on Christmas Day. My siblings and I usually run around with all of our cousins. After dinner, we always sit by the tree and open presents together.  My father’s family all stay at a resort together in Mexico for a week.

Halloween is a big deal in our house. I love Halloween because you can dress up as a favorite character from a movie or TV show. Each of us gets to pick out a costume. I usually dress up as a favorite tv show character. The whole house is decorated with ghosts and pumpkins.  We each get a pumpkin to carve, which we do the night before trick-or-treating. We usually leave a bowl of candy out on the front porch for trick-or-treaters and head out as a family. When we get back, we always count all the candy and see who has the most.

Christmas Traditions

Halloween Traditions